I totally agree with what Hope said about feeling alone. We all get that way sometimes, but there is no reason we need to stay that way. There are so many ways to meet new people and make new friends. Don’t get all down in the dumps!! Stay positive, and set your sights high! If you are ever feeling alone, try a few of the following:
1. A small SMILE can go a long way. Maybe people aren’t smiling at you because you aren’t smiling at them. Try to smile at everyone you know when you walk past them. Who knows, maybe they are feeling the same way you are. A nice smile can brighten a day, or start a relationship. It’s such a small and easy thing, but should not be underestimated. A smile is powerful.
2. Sometimes, you may have to BE THE ONE TO START SOMETHING. Don’t sit around feeling sorry for yourself! Get up and do something. The people around you may not realize how you are feeling. They might think that you are perfectly fine, and that there is no need to invite you to anything. You may have to make the first move. Don’t worry. This is simple. Just remember to be confident. Try asking to sit with a new group of girls at lunch, or maybe invite some different people over to your house. Don’t be shy, if you are already feeling alone you don’t have much to lose! Just try something new!
3. One way to meet new people is to FIND SOMETHING YOU LOVE. This can be anything, from Justin Bieber, to dancing, to serving others. Once you discover your passion, go out and act on it! Join a club, a team, or a fan-base! This is a great way to meet new people who share your same interest. For example, if you are a fan of a celebrity, join twitter! Get a fan account and try to meet new people who share your same interests! Or if you love to bake or dance, take a class! It is a great way to make friends! No matter what you love, there is something for you. And remember, when you go to the activity, be outgoing. Don’t go sit in the back and stay silent. Try to be brave. Go sit by a person you don’t know and say hi.
4. A great way to make friends is to PARTICIPATE IN CHURCH ACTIVITIES. Never stop attending seminary, mutual, etc. It may seem boring, or maybe people there don’t talk to you, but that is no reason to stop going. In fact, if you stop attending, it will only make it worse. Just keep your head up, and know that you are doing the right thing. Maybe one day it will click between you and another young woman. You could find a friendship that you never knew was there. If you truly cannot tolerate your ward’s activities, try going to a different ward’s mutual. Maybe the youth in that ward will have more in common with you. Regardless of how or where you attend, you should always go to church activities.
5. Whenever you are feeling bad about your situation in life, LOSE YOURSELF IN SERVICE. Mahatma Gandhi said, “the best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
Service will make you happy, and help you to be grateful for what you have. Service can help you see the good in others, and have true love for those in your life. When you serve, you can feel the pure love of Christ going through you, and projecting outward to all those around you. Serving will make you a happier person, and will change your perspective on life. It easy to find ways to serve. Volunteer in your community, help at a local elementary school, shelve books at a local library, visit a retirement home, or do service projects with your ward. No matter where you live, there will always be opportunities to serve. Be creative and be willing!
Always remember that you are a daughter of God. High school is such a small part of your life. Soon you will be moving on to greater things. Just try to keep things in perspective. You are important and you matter. Heavenly Father loves you, and that is what really matters in the end. If you ever need a little comfort when you are feeling alone, here is a scripture you can read to help you through your trials.
~ John 14:18